You already have everything you need to get down to work and start writing your article. And to get the best out of your content and get many readers it is vital that your article is well structured and designed. Do not forget that most of your readers do not read, scan.
First step: write your article
As you can see, I have not broken my head thinking about the first step, but it’s that simple. For your article to help in the SEO of your blog, the most important thing is to write it without taking into account the web positioning, that is, because the quality content is born from a good inspiration and a good development of the idea.
In the following steps you can put little lights, colors and all kinds of adornments to your article, but that will not turn a bad article into good, it will only make a good article even better. Therefore, this first step is the most important step of all. You must take advantage of your inspirational moments to write down the ideas that come to your head, be it on your mobile, on a sheet, a post-it … whatever! The case is not to lose that word or phrase that will be the beginning of your development.
And once you have the idea, go ahead, write your article as you want to tell your visitors, because the enthusiasm and enthusiasm with which you write your articles will be the same that you spread to others. If at that moment you do not feel like writing, DO NOT DO IT, because your readers will notice, believe me.some of the blogger not interested in writing an article they want to publish copy paste or rewrite content on their blogs which do not work anymore due to the new policy of google if you hiring any writer and want to sure where your content is 100% unique or not you can use given tool to make sure your content is unique or not.
Second step: organize
You have given free rein in the form of letters to everything that came to your mind with the same feeling with which you thought, great. Now it’s time to organize the ideas because what you thought you could see so clearly, may not be for the majority. According to the studies carried out by engineer Jakob Nielsen, a web usability guru, 79% of your readers will simply scan your article to see what is following what pattern calls :
As you can see in this pattern F of the visual tour (named for the form in F that is created), most readers do not really read word by word but scan the article focusing on the first paragraphs and the first words to collect the main ideas.
So you already have some instructions to organize your article: you should write in an inverted pyramid structure, that is, the most important ideas and summarize the content should go in the first paragraph, and the least important as they are written the rest of paragraphs.
Also, keep in mind that the first paragraph is usually used as a summary on the main page of your blog if you use the More tag in the WordPress text editor, so it must be the paragraph that convinces the reader to read it. Everything that goes after this tag does not appear on the initial page of your blog until you enter the article or click on the typical “Continue reading” link.
Third step: simplify
As you have already seen, the reader will scan your article to see if it interests you, and if you see more text than in Don Quixote it will surely not last 1 second to leave your blog … According to our guru Jakob, the average time per visit gives to read 28% of the text at most, and 20% the most likely, so you have to simplify and summarize your content if you want them to read it.
The journalist Guillermo Franco has in his book How to write for the web ( here you have the free pdf if you want to delve into the subject) that articles with short paragraphs receive twice as much visual attention as those with long paragraphs. Here you have another indication to write your article: separate your ideas into short paragraphs, no more than 3 or 4 sentences. Why do you think Twitter and microblogs, in general, have been so successful?
Fourth step: decorate
As you saw before, 79% of readers are going to scan your article, so why not make it more “scannable” for them? Here is a list of ideas you can use to get it:
- Titles and subtitles: As you will see in most of the articles of My Web Positioning I divide the content with titles and subtitles so that the reader can see at a glance what each part is about. There will be people who, for example, do not care about the first part and go directly to the second part, and in this way, they will know where they are without having to read the entire article. I recommend this article from a crack like José Facchin, in which he talks about how to write viral titles for your articles.
- Images: they are the best resources to attract the reader. An image can explain the content of your article in 1 simple second. That’s why infographics now so famous because they are like articles summarized in images that greatly facilitate their understanding.
- Lists: that’s right, this is what I’m doing now. Using lists helps break the uniformity of the text, giving the feeling of organization and variety.
- Keywords: or what is the same, the keywords. They are the words that summarize or identify your content. And the best way to make your keywords “scannable” is to highlight them, whether in bold, capital letters, colors, links, text citations, etc. If you take a look at this article that you are reading you will see that almost in each paragraph I highlight a word or a phrase ; in this way the reader will not have finished reading the paragraph when he sees the bold text of the next paragraph, and if he likes what he sees, he will read the entire paragraph. Thus, the mixture of organizing the text by ideas in short paragraphs and highlighting the ideas in each paragraph makes your article completely scannable :-).
- Links: besides being a way of highlighting your keywords, the links allow you to boost your article, corroborate your ideas giving you credibility, provide more extensive information, create links with other bloggers, etc. This last point is very important for the web positioning of your blog, and although I will talk more calmly about this in the future, here are 2 reasons:
1. Create internal links of your own blog helps Google know better the structure of your pages and also get the user to read more articles of yours.
2. Create external links to other bloggers that deal with the same topic that yours creates links and helps your content have more possibilities to be shared. Quality competition is your best ally, and as Carlos Bravo says: Google likes you to put good outbound links on your blog! The Wikipedia for example usually comes out as the first result in Google when you are looking for a word, why do you think I put so many links to it to explain concepts? ?
Step five: Review
Now check, review and when you have finished, go back to review your article. This step is almost as important as the first. You will always find some misspelling, a misspelled word, an incoherent phrase or you have missed something to highlight.
Not only is your reader unable to understand you well, but your own credibility is at stake : although what you write is very interesting, if you do not write well they will not take you seriously .
What would you think of the author of an article that speaks for example of film reviews and you see that he writes badly Star Wars and puts Start Wars? Exactly, that your critic will have the same value as your article … none. I do not know about you, but when I read an article and I find serious spelling mistakes, I do not even bother to keep reading. And the same thing happens with the comments, those that are badly written, I pass them by and go to the next one. The image that your article gives will be what your readers will have of you, do not forget it.
The important thing of your article is always its content and what you want to express with it. You can use the best SEO techniques and web positioning, the best tricks or pay a fortune to advertise on the Internet, but what will really make you read is the quality of what you write.
Take a look at these 6 elements to create a powerful post, because it can give you many ideas about what you can improve or what you should focus on.